The other day I was thinking about the people in my life and how they have affected who I am and how I operate. I made a list of some of the most influential people in my life and, while they are definitely not the only people that have hugely impacted me, I wanted to share with the world who has helped me become me. So here goes my list, in no particular order.
- MOMMA – Well this seems like a given considering you’re the one who gave birth to me and all that, but it’s definitely so much more than some obligation to the woman who gave me life. My mom is awesome. She has taught me so much that I cannot even think of how to begin to describe it all. She has given me a heart full of passion for family and friends. She has encouraged me to never stop learning and has challenged me to always be growing. She has given me amazing cook skills that I thank the Lord for everyday.
- PAPA – This also seems like a cliché, but it’s 100% accurate. My dad is great and fun and I absolutely love him. He has shown me that there never needs to be a limit to the love that we give or the compassion that we show. He has taught me to value the people in front of me and that everyone is worth stopping to say hello to. He has taught me to stand firm in what I believe and never compromise my values. He also showed me at a very young age that I am a the most precious princess that anyone could ever want for a daughter.
- GRANDMA – I really love my Grandma. She is fiery and fun, and sweet and compassionate. She has so much love for people that she very freely gives that love to those around her. She is really wise and is always there for me no matter how silly I am being. I love that we laugh together and that we can sit and talk for hours just about our lives. She has taught me to be bold and courageous and gentle and kind. She has taught me that hospitality is so important and that we are to take care of our neighbours. She has also taught me how to make perogies and I will never stop being grateful for that.
- BERTA – More commonly known as Emily, Berta was the first non-related person to truly become a part of my family. Her and my brother started dating when I was 12 and I was not fond of her. When I say “not fond” I mean I was really freaking mean to her and not shy about it. Until one day I just stopped being a brat and realized that she is like the most fun person in the world. We became fast friends and did pretty much everything together despite the fact that I am six years younger than her. She has taught me so much throughout the years. She has taught me to be confident in who I am and what I love. She has taught me to take care of myself, but still have a lot of fun. She has taught me that there will never be a TV show better than The Office and I am eternally grateful.
- BROTHERS – This may not be one person specifically, but I think I can bunch them all together into one entity. My brothers are all so different, yet so similar in a really fun and terrifying kind of way. With their love of fire to unite them, they could probably make anything…Only to blow it up somehow later. Bobby has taught me to be passionate about what I love and unashamed of what makes me, me. JT has taught me that I don’t have to care what everyone else thinks about me, but that I can just be me. Mykee has taught me that it’s never wrong to hold onto your dreams and know that you can do huge things. Collectively they have taught me that the only way for summer to end is by lighting a couch on fire or blowing up a refrigerator.
There we go. A list of the five most influential people in my life. Like I said before, these aren’t the only people who have impacted who I am; however, I think it’s safe to say that they’re at the top of my list. It’s funny to me to see that all of these people are my family, but I guess that’s just the way we work as a family. I’m pretty grateful for all the people that I’ve encountered throughout my life time and how they have changed me. Thank you to everyone who has taken time to invest in me.